It can be a challenge to meet the demand for healthy menu options out of home. Healthy food and drink options have held steady as an important trend throughout the downturn and is the number two demand of guests after 'better value'. Some guests believe that healthy dishes can lack flavour. Keep this in mind for your menus so taste is never compromised. This will keep your guests coming back for more and ensures profitable menus. There are lots of small changes you can make as far as your food products and preparation methods are concerned and these changes will result in menus that are healthier and more appealing. Take the test and see whether or not you are serving up enough healthy dishes.
Check how 'healthy' your menu is with our quiz
1. Do you have a least two salad choices?
2. Does your menu feature at least one fish dish?
3. Do you serve dishes with plenty of vegetables/fruit?
4. Do you use ‘low saturated fat spreads or margarines’ on sandwiches/bread/vegetables rather than butter?
5. Do you use lean meat in your dishes?
6. Do you limit adding salt to your dishes?
7. Do you limit adding sugar to your dishes?
8. Do you offer any wholegrain bread, pasta, noodles or rice options?
9. Do you use deep-frying techniques sparingly?
10. Do you serve at least one vegetarian option in each section of your menu?
11. Do you use dairy products with a lower fat content such as lower fat cheese and semi-skimmed milk?
12. Do you use a measurement method to control your portion sizes?
13. Do you serve sauces separately?
All 13 questions – FANTASTIC! You have your customers’ health interests at heart, read on for more great ideas.
7-12 questions – your menu is well balanced and your customers do have the choice of healthy menu options, but you could offer more.
6-3 questions – your customers may want a greater choice of healthy dishes and this demand will increase in the future. Time to put a plan in place
2 questions or below – your menu could limit your appeal and needs to have more healthier options.