Delicious burgers don’t need to be made with meat! This vegan patty is made from wild rice, walnuts and spices and served on a bun with a variety of toppings. It’s not just vegans who will love this meal!
Uncooked wild rice 125 g
As required Oil
White onion (ﬁnely chopped) 100 g
Walnuts 125 g
½ tbsp Cumin powder
½ tbsp Smoked paprika
320 g Black turtle beans (tinned) (drained and rinsed)
Panko breadcrumbs 25 g
3-4 tbsp Vegan barbecue sauce
- Boil the wild rice as per pack instruction.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add a splash of oil and the onion, sauté for 3-4 min or until onion is fragrant, soft and translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the walnuts to blender or food processor together with cumin, smoked paprika and blend until a ﬁne meal is formed, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the black turtle beans and cooked wild rice, mash well with a potato masher.
- Next, add the spice walnut mixture, sautéed onion, Robertsons Veggie Seasoning, panko breadcrumbs and barbecue sauce. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon for 1-2 min or until a mouldable dough forms.
- Divide into 6 patties.
- Press the dough into a ring of about 10 cm and press until nice and ﬁrm and about 1 ½ cm thick.
- Let it set in the fridge on a baking sheet or plate for at least 30 min.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of your pan, then add your burgers - only as many as will comfortably fit in the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 min on other side.
- Remove burgers from heat to let cool slightly.
- Serve burgers as is, or on toasted buns with desired toppings.