Herby Battered Hake
Crispy fried hake with a lemon and herb batter
- Preheat oil to 190ºC.
- Season the hake fillets on both sides with Robertsons Lemon & Herb Seasoning.
- Sieve cake flour and baking powder together.
- Add Robertsons Veggie Seasoning to the flour.
- Whisk the flour mix and water together until smooth and shiny –the texture should be like semi-whipped double cream.
- Chill the batter for ± 30 minutes.
- Dip the seasoned hake fillets into the chilled batter and allow any excess to drip off.
- Holding one end, gently lower the fish into the preheated oil one by one, working carefully so you don’t get splashed –the size of your fryer or pan will decide how many fish you can cook at once.
- Cook for 4 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and the batter is golden and crisp, then remove to kitchen paper to drain.
- Prepare frozen chips according to packaging instructions.
- Season fried chips with Robertsons Chip and Potato Seasoning and serve with the fried fish.
- For the perfect batter, ensure batter is chilled and thick, so that it souffle’s around the fish, keeping it light and crisp.